Because today is my 17th birthday, here are 17 fun facts about me! I am the beauty behind Girls With Beauty & Brains, but what don’t you know about me? I think it is important for you guys to get to know me better.
- Jamilah means beautiful in Arabic. I loveeeee my name, it is so unique. But the cons of an unique name is that everyone has a hard time pronouncing it and even spelling it. I personally don’t think it is that hard, but I have gotten all types of pronunciations before. I’ve even gotten a JAMAL!! What? Lol!
- I love to sing. I have been singing since I was very little. My mom has so many old pictures and videos of me singing.
- I am part of the Beyhive. I am a big fan of Beyonce!! I have seen her 4 times in concert, I own Beyonce merchandise, and in the 6th grade I dressed as her for Halloween. LOL! Also, Blue Ivy and I share the same birthday. How crazy is that?!
- I love dogs. I have a dog named Cupcake. She is a Shih Tzu and she’s really cute, but she can be really mean. She’s like one of those Sour Patch Kids. First they’re sour, then they’re sweet!
- I am an excellent barker. Wow, I laughed as I was typing that. Sometimes when my dog is barking at me, I bark back just to annoy her. My mom usually thinks that it’s just my dog barking. Hahaha 😂
- I have 2 siblings. I have a 25 year old brother and a 7 year old sister. I am 9 years apart from both of them. I love them dearly.
- My favorite sport is basketball. I love going to basketball games, professional and high school games. They are super fun and exciting! I also played basketball in the 9th grade.
- I wear braces. You guys have probably noticed that already, but I want to briefly explain why I have them. I have had braces for 3 years now. One of my adult tooth is still in my gums, but instead of coming straight down to replace my baby tooth it was moving sideways. That was damaging the bone structure of the tooth beside it. In these three years, the orthodontist have been trying to redirect the stubborn tooth to come straight down so it doesn’t damage my other tooth. I have gotten two surgeries done and what they did is cut my gums open and attached a gold chain to my stubborn tooth. So, at every orthodontist visit they attach a string to the gold chain and tie it to my wire to guide the tooth down. On the bright side, after the 2nd surgery there has been a lot of progress and the tooth has been coming down. I hope I didn’t confuse you guys too much! Hopefully I get my braces off before I graduate high school.
- When I was 2 years old I locked my nanny outside. My mom tells me this story all the time. The nanny went to take the garbage out and I locked her out. The neighbor had to bribe me with cookies to get me to open the door.
- My favorite color is purple. My whole website is purple, so I bet it wasn’t too hard to guess that. I also like blue and pink.
- I bite my nails. I have been working on it though. It’s something I do subconsciously.
- My biggest pet peeve is when people don’t say excuse me. I think it is very rude to push someone instead of just saying excuse me. Manners are very important and I believe that everyone should remember them at all times!
- I love laughing. Who doesn’t though?! Especially with my friends, we can laugh for hours about the silliest stuff.
- I love sour candies. War Heads, Sour Patch Kids, Haribo Sour Spaghetti, I love them all.
- I love to travel. I want to be able to travel the world one day. So far, I’ve been to Jamaica and the Dominican Republic. I love learning about new cultures as I travel. I also love when the plane is taking off and when it is landing.
- I’m left handed. People are always surprised when I tell them I am a lefty.
- I never ate beef or pork. But I love chicken!
Bonus: My middle name is Nadege. It means hope and it is of French origin. It was my aunt’s name who unfortunately passed away. That is all for the 17 fun facts about me! Let me know what fun fact surprised you or if we have something in common!